Disney Channel will no longer be available in Russia from December 14.
According to Kommersant, it will be replaced by a channel named Solntse, operated by the Media group in partnership with Mercury Content.
Media1 owns 80% of The Disney Channel in Russia, with the remaining 20% owned by The Walt Disney Company. Meanwhile, Mercury Content was founded by the producer Eduard Iloyan.
Disney Channel airs content from both Walt Disney Pictures and other producers, including Russian ones, and according to Mediascope was the second highest rated children’s channel in Russia in October.
Broadband TV News notes that The Walt Disney Company said in March that it was suspending its operations in Russia as a result of the country’s invasion of Ukraine.
However, some of its services, including Disney Channel, have remained available in the country.