Kommersant reports that this is a result of Discovery’s take-over of Scripps Networks Interactive, adding that the CEO of Media Alliance will be Grigory Lavrov, who formerly headed Portico Media.
Portico Media, which has distributed the three channels since 2016, is 20% owned by Scripps, with the remaining 80% held jointly by Ivan Rodionov and Igor Pozhitkov.
It remains to be seen if Media Alliance will now buy out the latter, though this has already been denied by Rodionov.
NMG currently accounts for 25% of Russia’s pay-TV market, holding majority stakes in the Discovery, Turner, Viasat and Sony Pictures Television businesses.
It will soon also conclude a joint venture with Rostelecom responsible for the distribution of Fox channels in the country.