The leading Latvian cable operator Baltkom may start to acquire other telco companies now that the economic crisis is over, according to board member Peteris Smidre.
Quoted in DB, he added that Baltkom would reveal the name of a new financial partner later this week.
Although a merger between Baltkom and its closest cable competitor IZZI appeared to have been ruled out last week, Smidre said it could still happen.
Commenting on the possible privatisation of Lattelecom – the incumbent telco is currently 51% owned by the Latvian state, with Tilts Communications, a subsidiary of TeliaSonera, holding the remaining 49% – Smidre said it should have happened a decade ago.
A merger between Baltkom and IZZI would help the Latvian cable industry compete more effectively with Lattelecom, which operates both an IPTV and DTT platform.