The Flemish media regulator Vlaamse Regulator voor de Media (VMM) has issued a licence to Norkring Belgium to launch DTT broadcasts in the Dutch speaking part of Belgium.
Norkring AS acquired the transmitter network from the public broadcaster VRT in 2008, and its subsidiary Norkring Belgium was established earlier this year. Norkring AS owns 49% of the company, with the remaining 51% still held by VRT. The plan is to increase Norkring’s stake to 75% during the next couple of years.
The licence will run for 15 years. Under its terms, Norkring Belgium has to start broadcasting within the next two years. At the moment, there is only one DVB-T multiplex on air, with radio and TV channels from VRT.
Norkring is expected to present a plan for the exploitation of the DTT services in the country, which could include DVB-H. It is expected that commercial broadcasters will be part of the terrestrial platform.
The company also owns the licence for digital radio in Flanders.