• Subscribe to our Daily News Emails
  • Advertise
    • Media Info
    • Terms & Conditions for Advertisers
    • Mechanical Data

Broadband TV News

Independent. Since 2003

  • Home
  • News Line
    • Central & East Europe
    • People
  • TV
    • On Demand/VOD
    • IPTV
    • Cable
    • Satellite
    • Terrestrial
    • Distribution
  • Business
  • Tech
  • Events
    • Events Diary
    • BTN Events
    • Events Coverage
    • Submit the details of your event
  • Features
  • Resources
    • White Papers

Drama becomes Casualty of Ofcom Broadcast Code

September 11, 2023 12.34 Europe/London By Julian Clover

BBC Studios-run channel Drama has been found in breach of Ofcom’s Broadcast Code after offensive language was broadcast within the subtitles of a popular drama series.

Casualty, which has been a part of the UK television landscape since 1986, receives regular daytime showings on Drama.

While the episode broadcast on 12 June 2023 did not contain any offensive language in the audio track, two instances of the word fu**ing remained within the subtitles.

Ofcom said the matter raised issues within the Broadcasting Code and was told by the channel that it had outsourced its subtitling to Red Bee Media with whom it had raised the issue as soon as they became aware. It was explained that Red Bee has “a number of processes and checks in place that should have prevented this word from erroneously appearing in the subtitles”, including the time of transmission being “visible to the subtitler”, profanity checks and written guidance

BBC Studios subsidiary UKTV said that, in this case, “the subtitler responsible did not follow the agreed procedures” and that “they did not check the broadcast time and wrongly assumed that the programme was scheduled post-watershed”.

It pointed out this was the first time there had been an issue of this type.

The regulator considered that as it was a pre-recorded programme there was the opportunity to check the material and there were no mitigating circumstance to take into account.

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp

Related

Filed Under: Editor's Choice, Newsline, TV Edited: 12 September 2023 08:40

Avatar photo

About Julian Clover

Julian Clover is a Media and Technology journalist based in Cambridge, UK. He works in online and printed media. Julian is also a voice on local radio. You can talk to Julian on X @julianclover, or by email at jclover@broadbandtvnews.com.

Latest News

  • Omdia: Google, Amazon and Netflix to control half of CTV ad market by 2030
  • Qorvo boosts DOCSIS 4.0 output at 24V
  • Mediaset overtakes Rai in Italian prime time viewing amid continued TV decline
  • AMC+ becomes US home for classic modern Doctor Who
  • Digi revenues rise 10% as operator prepares UK broadband launch

Philipp Rotermund

The Long Game in FAST: Market by Market

When we launched wedotv in 2018 (then called Watch4), the prevailing wisdom in the entertainment industry was clear: subscription video-on-demand was the future. … [Read More ...]

Most Popular

  • Sky edges closer to ITV takeover as negotiations enter final phase
    Sky edges closer to ITV takeover as negotiations enter final phase
  • UK Government considers expanding TV licence to streaming users
    UK Government considers expanding TV licence to streaming users
  • Ofcom proposes broadcast-style regulation for Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video
    Ofcom proposes broadcast-style regulation for Netflix, Disney+ and Prime Video
  • Digi revenues rise 10% as operator prepares UK broadband launch
    Digi revenues rise 10% as operator prepares UK broadband launch
  • Altice France extends exclusivity talks with Bouygues, Orange and iliad
    Altice France extends exclusivity talks with Bouygues, Orange and iliad
  • Omdia: Google, Amazon and Netflix to control half of CTV ad market by 2030
    Omdia: Google, Amazon and Netflix to control half of CTV ad market by 2030
  • Orange Belgium signs DAZN football deal
    Orange Belgium signs DAZN football deal

Broadband TV News

  • Subscribe
  • About us
  • Contacts
  • Logos & Pictures
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms and Conditions

Advertising

  • Media Info
  • Terms & Conditions
  • Mechanical Data
  • Video Services

News

  • Latest
  • Central & East Europe
  • TV
  • Tech
  • Streaming
  • Cable
  • Satellite
  • Terrestrial
  • IPTV
  • Business
  • People

Events

  • Events Diary
  • BTN Events
  • Submit the details of your event
  • Media Meet & Greet

Editorial

44 Telegraph Street
Cottenham, Cambridge CB24 3QF
news@broadbandtvnews.com

Commercial

Arundel View Cottage
Wepham
West Sussex
BN18 9RA
sales@broadbandtvnews.com

Connect with Us

 

Copyright © 2026 Broadband TV News LLP · Log in

Loading Comments...

    We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue to use this site we will assume that you are happy with it.