Ziarul Financiar reports that it cited as its reason to do so a confidentiality clause in the Strategic Privatisation Contract of January 31, 2003 between the Romanian state and Greece’s OTE, which is backed by Deutsche Telekom.
MCSI also referred to only a “possible” sale of shares in Telekom Romania despite OTE, which currently owns 70% of the telco, having recently inviting bids for its stake. The remaining 30% of shares in Telekom Romania are owned by Telekom Romania itself, with the latter being 45.99%-backed by the Romanian state.
In a separate development, Telekom Romania will increase the cost of some of its fixed services on October 10. Ziarul Financiar reports that it is unprecedented for one of the country’s leading providers to raise its fees for the second time in a year.
According to Telekom Romania, the increases are due to the tariffs currently being too low in relation to the costs of providing the services.