New consumer research from Leichtman Research Group finds that 74% of US TV households have at least one internet-connected TV device, including connected Smart TVs, stand-alone streaming devices (like Roku, Amazon Fire TV stick or set-top box, Chromecast, or Apple TV), connected video game systems, and/or connected Blu-ray players.
This is a similar level to last year, and an increase from 69% with at least one connected TV device in 2017, 50% in 2014, and 24% in 2010.
Overall, 31% of adults in US TV households watch video on a TV via a connected device daily – compared to 25% in 2017, 11% in 2014, and 1% in 2010. Younger individuals are most likely to use connected TV devices. Among adults ages 18-34, 53% watch video on a TV via a connected device daily, compared to 31% of ages 35-54, and 12% of ages 55+.
These findings are based on a survey of 1,150 TV households throughout the US, and are part of a new LRG study, Connected and 4K TVs 2019. This is LRG’s sixteenth annual study on TV in the US.
Other findings include:
– 25% of adults with a pay-TV service watch video via a connected TV device daily – compared to 49% of pay-TV non-subscribers
– 49% of TV households have at least one stand-alone streaming device – up from 40% in 2017, and 17% in 2014
– 18% of adults watch video on a TV via a stand-alone device daily – compared to 12% in 2017, and 4% in 2014
– 14% of adults watch Internet-delivered video via a connected Smart TV daily – compared to 10% in 2017, and 4% in 2014
– 32% of all TVs in US households are connected Smart TVs – an increase from 24% in 2017, and 7% in 2014
– 22% with annual household incomes >$50,000 have a 4K HDTV – compared to 9% with annual household incomes <$50,000 - 34% of those that got a new TV in the past year have a 4K HDTV. “About three-quarters of all TV households in the US now have at least one connected TV device, with a mean of 3.9 devices per connected TV household,” said Bruce Leichtman, president and principal analyst for Leichtman Research Group, Inc. “Over half of all adults watch video via a connected TV device at least weekly, an increase from one-quarter of adults five years ago, and nearly one-third of adults now use these devices daily.”