At the same time, the number receiving cable services fell by 4% to 184,200. All told, there were 323,700 pay-TV subscribers in the country at the end of last year, or 53,700 (+19.9%) more than a year earlier, while pay-TV revenues in 2017 increased by 5.1% to reach MDL159.5 million (€7.75 million). Pay-TV penetration per 100 inhabitants stood at 9.1%, a 1.5 percentage point increase on 12 months earlier.
There were 119 active providers of pay-TV providers operating on the market, with 56.9% of subscribers using their cable services and the remaining 43.1% opting for IPTV. At the same time, 56.5% of subscribers received digital and 43.5% analogue TV services.
IPTV revenues rose by 16% in 2017 to each MDL73.9 million, while cable revenues fell by 2.8% to MDL85.6 million. ARPU fell by 3.5% to MDL44.8.
Moldtelecom remained the market leader in revenue terms with a share of 32.9%.
It was followed by Sun Communications (23.5%) and SRL TV Box (13.15%), with the other 116 suppliers accounting for the remaining 30.5%.