Flemish public broadcaster VRT has lined up five parties, who are interested in buying its transmitter network. Although no names were put forward, they are believed to include Belgacom, Telenet, TDF, Mobistar and Macquarie.
Missing from the list is Dutch KPN, who earlier expressed an interest in acquiring DTT frequencies in Belgium following a successful implementation of the Digitenne network in The Netherlands. VRT will gradually hand over control. Initially, the new partner will have a minority share, growing to 75% minus 1 share. At that time VRT will sell the remaining 25% plus one share to the investment company of the Flemish government, the Participatiemaatschappij Vlaanderen.
Flanders will switch off its analogue terrestrial television signals at the end of 2008, the Flemish government has decided. Currently only the Flemish public broadcaster VRT is available over the air, both digitally and analogue. After the switch-off licences will be issued to commercial broadcasters as well.