According to CNMC, this new wholesale service is one of the obligations that it imposed on Telefónica after approving the regulation of wholesale broadband markets. The NEBA local will be available within a year.
The new regulation has forced Telefónica to open up its fibre network to competitors in areas where there is not enough competition, which cover 65% of the population. In areas covering the remaining 35% of the population, the CNMC has decided there is sufficient competition as a minimum of three operators simultaneously deploy next generation networks (NGAs).
The new wholesale offer provides operators with a maximum speed of 300 Mbps. If they want a lower one, they can provide it on their own network without the need to consult with Telefónica.
The CNMC has also approved a 40% reduction in wholesale prices that other operators pay Telefónica for accessing its fibre and copper network indirectly, by not using their own equipment.