Russia prepares for 3rd DTT mux

Shukhov-radio-towerRussia is now preparing the launch of a third digital television multiplex.

The tender might take place in either this year or 2014, depending on the progress of finding suitable frequencies, Alexei Volin, deputy minister of mass communications of the Russian Federation, told the Russian press.

The frequencies that will broadcast in the third multiplex will be determined this year.

“To date, we have found available frequencies in 80% of the 319 cities in Russia, where the third multiplex will become available. We hope to find the remaining 20% during 2013, after which we will open up the tender, so this will be in 2013 or 2014,” said Volin.

Volin also said that the tender for the selection of the regional channels for inclusion in the first multiplex will be held in 2013.

By 2020, the Russian people will be able to watch at least 20 digital TV channels broadcast on three multiplexes.

Late last year, the winners of the second multiplex were announced. They are Akcept (Ren TV), TV Center (TV Center – Moscow), Network Television Stations (CTC), New Channel (Domashny), Sport (VGTRK), NTV Plus Sport Plus (NTV Plus), Zvezda (NTK Zvezda), Mir (Mir), TNT Teledisk (TNT) and Muz TV (Muz).

The first multiplex consists of Russia 1, Russia 2, NTV, St. Petersburg – Channel Five, Russia-K, Russia 24 and Karussel. Any regional broadcasters will also be added to this mux.