UPC cablecom acquires Télémeyrin SA

UPC CablecomThe municipality of Meyrin and Geneva Cantonal Bank have sold their shares in the West Swiss cable network operator Télémeyrin SA to UPC cablecom.

Switzerland’s largest cable network operator is now the sole owner of Télémeyrin, which provides services to around 7,000 subscribers. UPC cablecom will now offer its full product portfolio in Meyrin.

UPC cablecom and Télémeyrin have been in partnership since the 1990s. UPC cablecom previously held a 10% stake in the Geneva cable network operator, and on April 12, 2012 acquired the remaining 90% of the company. Previously, 51% had been held by the municipality of Meyrin and 39% by Geneva Cantonal Bank. The parties involved have agreed to not disclose the purchase price.

With a population of 22,000, Meyrin is the fourth largest town in the Canton of Geneva and Télémeyrin is a major company in the region with around 7,000 subscribers. Until now, UPC cablecom’s internet and telephony products have been offered on the cable network of Télémeyrin, while the digital TV offering Naxoo was provided by 022 Télégenève.

With the takeover of Télémeyrin, UPC cablecom is now to offer its full product portfolio – aside from fixed network telephony and the fastest Internet at 100 Mbps, this also includes analogue and digital radio, television with HD channels, Video on Demand and TV on Demand.

“French-speaking Switzerland is an attractive growth market for us. The Télémeyrin takeover strengthens our position in West Switzerland. In acquiring cable networks throughout Switzerland we aim to develop our business and offer our products to even more potential customers,” commented Iván Nash Vila, SVP and CFO at UPC cablecom.