The European Commission has given Bulgaria two months to inform it of the measures that will be taken to rectify its controversial DTT licence awards in 2009.
Failure to do so could result in the country being taken to the European Court of Justice.
In a statement, the EC says it welcomes Bulgaria’s recent announcement that it will hold a new tender before September 1, 2013, which is also the country’s ASO date, and asks for it to publish the conditions as soon as possible.
Although Bulgaria awarded licences for four multiplexes to Latvia’s Hannu Pro and two to Slovakia’s Towercom, the Commission says it breached EU law. It began proceedings against the country in May last year following complaints from unsuccessful bidders, including Austria’s ORS.
In a separate development, the EC has referred Hungary to the Court of Justice as it continues to imposed a “crisis tax” on the turnover of telcos in violation of EU rules.