The Finnish government has unveiled its plans roll out 100 Mbps broadband services to the whole population. A subsidy of €11 million per year over the period 2010-2015 should ensure universal fast internet access.
A report commissioned by the Ministry of Communication found that commercial development should reach 95% of the population by 2015. To cover the remaining 4-5%, the government has to provide additional funds to the tune of €66 million.
The subsidy forms part of a general policy to consider broadband a universal service by the end of 2010. The plan has to be agreed by the European Commission.
The subsidy will account for a maximum 67% of the investment, with the state providing no more than 33%.
The country also hopes to use some EU structural funds for the project.