MFD hands back German T-DMB licence

The German mobile TV operator Mobilen Fernsehen Deutschland (MFD) has stopped its Watcha service and handed back its T-DMB licence. The company had already ceased marketing the five-channel mobile TV bouquet.

Watcha was sold via a number of marketing partners (Debitel, Mobilcom and Simply), but only managed to garner a limited number of paying subscribers.

The end of the only commercial DMB service in Europe comes as no surprise, as MFD has a 55% share in Mobile 3.0, the national DVB-H licence holder (Neva Media holds the remaining 45%). One of the conditions was that MFD had to give up its DMB licence.