The German Bertelsmann company is considering acquiring all of RTL. Following speculation in the German press about a possible bid to acquire the 10.2% it does not yet own, RTL issued a statement confirming such interest,
RTL Group said that “[It] acknowledges that Bertelsmann indicated that it was considering making an offer to acquire all the outstanding shares in RTL Group not already owned by Bertelsmann, subject to a number of conditions precedent. RTL Group understands that no offer has been approved yet by the Bertelsmann executive and supervisory boards and that there can be no assurance that any offer will be made by Bertelsmann.”
The RTL Group owns interests in 42 television channels and 32 radio stations in 10 countries, and content production throughout the world. Bertelsmann’s interest in RTL Group is now 89.8%, with the remaining 10.2% publicly traded on the Brussels and Luxembourg stock exchanges.