Veoh, a provider of web TV, has announced the beta launch of VeohTV, an application that builds on the success of its Veoh Player. According to the San Diego based company “[It] immediately transforms the online video landscape”.
VeohTV acts as a specialised video browser and PVR for viewing and managing online video. VeohTV combines the breadth of the Internet with the simplicity of traditional TV and betters it with a patent-pending smart recommendation engine so that viewers can discover more of what they want to watch. Because VeohTV supports open Internet standards, it has access to virtually all of the content on the Internet.
“Unlike Joost, which is a closed system with content from a limited number of sources, VeohTV supports open Internet standards, and has access to virtually all of the video content on the Internet, on demand.” said Dmitry Shapiro, CEO of Veoh Networks in a prepared statement. “We asked Veoh.com users what they really want in their online video experience and VeohTV is the culmination of that feedback. We believe that it will be the dominant standard for online video consumption moving forward.”
VeohTV presents viewers with a single interface to search, browse and view all video on the Internet, from major television networks such as Fox and CBS, to independently-produced content available on sites such as YouTube, Google Video, Veoh.com and MySpace. As with television, the interface is simple enough to be driven by a remote control, consistent from program to programme to programme, and displays video in a full screen TV-like experience. Key features include:
* Channels – browse for content by channel (i.e., CBS, NBC, Road & Track channels)
* Search – keyword search for videos from across thousands of websites
* Favorites – subscribe to content from your favorite shows, channels, and producers, and download and store your favorite videos
* Recommended – Veoh’s advanced recommendation engine makes finding interesting content even easier by recommending videos based on user preferences and previous viewing habits
* Interact Mode – engage with dozens of “widgets” while viewing videos. Widgets are available to access services from Amazon, eBay, Gmail, Hotmail, CraigsList, AOL, and others. Additional widgets will be added on a continuous basis.
VeohTV beta will initially be limited. Viewers can register for an invitation to download the free software application at www.veoh.tv or www.veoh.com.